Corrosion affects infrastructure and destroys equipment and utilities. Pipeline support brackets are areas commonly damaged by corrosion. Surface preparation is hard to achieve and it sometimes involves the use of cranes to lift the pipelines. Even if it doesn’t, the space created while raising the pipelines is typically quite small.
When these jobs involve Class 1 Div 1&2 environments the jobs get a lot more complicated. Not only do the contractors need to be concerned about creating that separation between the pipeline and the bracket, but they also need to be prepared to do a proper surface preparation and mitigation of the corrosion.
TFT-PNEUMATIC has a particularly good solution for corrosion removal and surface preparation where confined spaces or tight areas are common as is the case with pipeline support brackets.
TFT-PNEUMATIC introduced to the market a revolutionary tool to assist in these and other type of jobs. Essentially a Certified Cold Work Grinder, commonly referred to in the market as Sparkless Grinders.
With this innovation, the time to perform a job is dramatically reduced both in terms of effort and personnel cost and can be done through an entire facility if need be. Reducing the need for inefficient surface preparation and corrosion removal may also be labor-intensive and time-consuming.
Easier corrosion removal
Among the variety of tools in our product offering we have two tools that can contribute greatly to improve the surface preparation and corrosion removal in tight and confined spaces:
- Tool model FG-2VX-50 which is essentially a straight die grinder. It can be paired up with numerous files, we have 8 to choose from. Any of those rotating files can be fitted with an additional 4” extension to help in hard to reach areas.
- Tool model FAS-1X-50 which is a very innovative type of grinder. It can be paired up with 2 different files: A-0009 (small RoughBoy file) or A-0010 (large RoughBoy file). In order to maintain cost competitiveness, we recommend using the smaller A-0009 file. We pair them up with Handle A-0060 RB.
In the image below you can see multiple coats of paint being exposed as our surface prep removes layer by layer. Note the color difference as each layer was painted in a different color to reveal such a layered process. Our tools are capable of removing corrosion as well as feathering. This process is entirely dependent on the Operator and the amount of force applied onto the workpiece.
Major benefits of using TFT-PNEUMATIC Safety Tools
- Certified for Use in Explosive Environments for use in Class 1 Div 1&2 Areas.
- Classified as Cold Work
- No Hot work permits
- No adjacent surface damage due to NO Hot spark generation.
- Ability to perform small repairs in many areas at very high speed without the need of Pressurized welding enclosures or Habitats.
- No production shutdown
- No job delay
- Easy cleanup
- No fireguards
- Feathering capabilities
- Roughness Profile 2.5 mils
- Low rotational speed – All of our tools rotate at a maximum of 3,000 rpm
- Equivalent to common blast standards referred to in SSPC-SPC 10 (SA 2 ½ near white) Nace No. 2.
- Power tool cleaning to bare metal superior Standard SSPC-11.